Most people who have been injured in a filming in the Como district west of Fort Worth were innocent bystanders who were injured when several people started shooting, Fort Worth police said.
Eight people were shot and wounded early Sunday on Horne Street, just hours after hundreds gathered half a mile away for a July 4th festival.
As of Sunday afternoon, all eight victims were in stable condition, police said. Another woman was injured when she was struck by a car whose driver was trying to get away from the shooting.
The shooting took place after several adult men started arguing in the 3400 block of Horne Street around 1:30 a.m. One of the men left, took a gun and walked back to the group and started shooting, Fort Worth police said. Several people began to fight back. Detectives determined that several different weapons had been used due to the multiple casings found in the area.
No suspects had been taken into custody on Sunday afternoon, police said.
At about 800 meters, the neighborhood welcomed its the very first ComoFest on Saturday evening. The family event, which ran from 4 p.m. to 10 p.m., drew hundreds of people and featured live music and other events. A July 4th parade is scheduled for Monday. Festival and parade organizers said they have coordinated with Fort Worth Police to develop safety plans and the parade will continue.
Community leaders and residents said they didn’t believe shooters were part of ComoFest, and they won’t let the shooting spoil the planned festivities.
Fort Worth Police Chief Neil Noakes said on Twitter that he “is praying for the victims and the good people of the amazing community of Como.”
“I am so proud of the FWPD officers who ran into danger, made the area safe and provided medical assistance to the victims,” Noakes said. “They saved lives! Let’s all work together and put an end to this senseless gun violence. “